Knee osteotomy surgery involves cutting the bone to correct the alignment of the knee, and enhance its function while also reducing the pain associated with chronic arthritis.
It is usually recommended for people with early-stage osteoarthritis, where the damage to the joint surface has occurred only on one side of the knee. The goal of the surgery is to shift the weight from the painful side of the knee to the healthier side of the knee.
What Is Knee Osteoarthritis?
Knee Osteoarthritis can develop when the knee bones and the leg do not align properly. This can put additional stress on the inner side (medial) or the outer area (lateral) of your knee. With time, this additional pressure can affect the smooth cartilage protecting the bones causing it to break down and wear away. This will cause stiffness, inflammation and further pain in your knee.
Goals Of Knee Osteotomy Surgery
There are three goals of knee osteotomy surgery.
- Transfer weight from the painful side of the knee to the healthier part of the knee
- Rectify knee alignment
- Lengthen the life of your knee joint
Benefits Of Knee Osteotomy Surgery
Knee osteotomy surgery can help you to preserve your knee joint.
You can avoid the need for more invasive joint replacement surgery. After your knee osteotomy surgery, you can get back to all kinds of physical activity including high impact activity such as playing sports and running. These activities are usually not usually recommended after a knee replacement surgery. If you want to resume to high impact activities, knee osteotomy surgery may be the right choice for you.
Things To Know About Knee Osteotomy Surgery
Your knee surgeon will outline the things to consider so you can make an informed decision. Some things to consider are:
- Healing after knee osteotomy surgery takes a long time, usually a few months.
- Risks and benefits of the surgery and other treatments
- You will need to use crutches during the rehabilitation period after surgery
- Knee osteotomy surgery does not replace any cartilage you may have lost, nor does it repair any remaining cartilage
Not sure if knee osteotomy surgery is right for you?
Call 0161 464 6399 now to make an appointment.